All text, concepts and images ©2009- 2014, Debra Healy
unless otherwise stated.


Thursday, November 17, 2011

Decorative Collars


Image from Valentina by Kohle Yohannan, photographed for Vogue 1946.
Valentina understood color and texture and how to accessorize glamorously.  She also knew how to make an entrance. Seen above in her black tulle coiffure.

 Valentina wears her own antique diamond necklace on a blue velvet bib Vogue 1946

Valentina created the look, copied here in a perfume ad from Vogue 1946,
jewels by Van Cleef and Arpels.

Valentina, Mrs. George Matthias Schlee, Vogue 1948
Red bejeweled velvet collar.


Pleated gold mesh necklace in the form of a collar with diminutive diamond floral decoration.
by Van Cleef and Arpels 1940's


Collar Necklace by Van Cleef and Arpels
for the second wife of King Leopold of Belgium
Princess De Rethy early 1940's
Elle France, faux collars for fall

2 comments:

P.Gaye Tapp at Little Augury said...

the Valentina collars! I am taken with her instinct to set them off-in color especially for her pale skin. I saw the DGuinness FIT show and her use of ribbon on everything does much the same thing. Collars-I like it! pgt

Debra Healy said...

I have been collecting images from my archives. Images of the innovative use of ribbons. Ever since my early visits to my grandmother's millinery shop, ribbons have fascinated me. Those glorious bands of color!