All text, concepts and images ©2009- 2014, Debra Healy
unless otherwise stated.


Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Verre Eglomise

My  design  for a decorative plate 14" glass, silver, gold, and copper, verre eglomise
 The finished piece
This was a very difficult object to photograph.

I taught myself the art of verre eglomise. 
I learned to water-gild glass. Working behind a mirror of my own making.
I adore glass and use it often in my work.
My fascination with reverse-glass techniques started many years ago in New York when I restored a series of Chinese reverse-glass paintings and mirrors.
Silver pendant Onyx and glass Circa 1930
Avane-garde jeweler Jean Despres
used the small decorated glass pieces by
Etienne Cournault in his jewelry.
In the 1930's and1940's Max Ingram (1908-1969) created glass decorated interiors, mirrors and
furniture using these techniques.He went on to work in  many other glass techniques
but these engraved, patinated, and silvered pieces are my favorites.
 detail of a small table top circa  1930's

 Max Ingrand left, engraved and silvered glass.  
Pierre Pansard, right verre eglomise

Secretary by Max Ingrand 1930's

 Image from Les Decorateurs des annees 40

Serge Roche, Console table with
Mirrored objects

No comments: